Updating Content Types
as the number of H5P content in our moodle installation is increasing, we have to handle updates of content types more careful. We want to reduce the risk of unavailable (older) content after update of content types. We are using H5P-Plugin Version 1.22.3 in moodle 3.9
I tried to find details about managing content created with different versions of libraries, but unfortunately I didnt' find answers to my questions.
First I tried to understand different update functions. This is my understanding:
- Update content type cache: This function is for checking whether updates for content types are available, but it doesn't update them. Does the same as the scheduled activity "look for updates"
- Update button at content type in H5P Hub (only displayed for content types with update available): This function really updates the content type, what means new created content will be using the new libraries.
- Update button behind entry in list of H5P libraries only displayed for older library versions if content is present: This can be used to update content that was created with old content type versions to the current content type.
Hopefully I'm right with this assumptions - maybe someone with real knowledge can confirm, correct or add...
Now let's come to my open questions:
- Is there a risk for availability of existing content when updating a content type or is content always displayed with the library it is created with?
- What happens when trying to edit content that was created with an older version of content type? Will it be converted oder is it edited with the old library?
- Is it recommended to update content regularly after updating content types, in order to decrease the number of different library versions per content type?
Maybe I'm worrying to much, but we need to be absolutely sure that "old" content is reliable available, however a full testing of all constellations is not feasible.
I'm looking forward to helpful answers - thanks a lot!