Intermittent video not supported or unable to decode media

I've been making a tutorial using the branching scenarios and interactive videos and I've run into a few problems.  Maybe some of you can shed some light on it for me.

I've pretty much completed it and when I was previewing the course, I would intermittently get a screen that stated either "video not supported" or "unable to decode media."  If I refreshed the browser, the video would work and then maybe a different video would state the error. There was no rhyme or reason that I could figure out.  

  1. Detailed steps to reproduce the bug (exactly how and when did it happen)  Right now the course is at  Since the problem is intermittent, it would happen on one or more of the 16 videos used in the course.  I've had the problem happen on the very first video and refresh the page, then it works again.  Since the user cannot go back (is there a way to allow this), the only way to get back to the video is to refresh and start over.
  2. Platform and version number. E.g. Drupal, Wordpress, Moodle. Using wordpress version 5.2.2 and H5P version 1.13.1
  3. Mobile or Desktop  Only tested desktop
  4. Browser: Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc Only tested Edge
  5. H5P plugin version h5p 1.13.1
  6. H5P content type and version (if a content type was used), and a sample URL or attached H5P.
  7. Any browser console errors None that I'm aware of
  8. Any PHP errors None that I'm aware of
  9. Screenshots if it's a visual problem
  10. Any recent changes to the environment (new plugins/modules, updates, configuration changes etc.) It's a new development course
  11. Any recent changes to the browser you're using (new extensions, updates etc.) None that I'm aware of

Thanks for any assistance!  



BV52's picture


First of all I love the scenario :-)

I don't see the error message that you mentioned above. Would you mind providing the version of Edge that you are using. Also please check the browser console when you see the issue as this gives us clues to what could be causing it.


Thanks!  I just tried it again and it did fail. It seems once it fails and gives me a "video format not supported" message, it seems to continue to fail until I refresh the browser. It's random on which video it fails on.  My Edge is 42.17134.1.10 and it also has an EDGEHTML of 17.17134 

I made a screen recording of the problem and posted it on youtube, if that helps:



BV52's picture

Hi Sean,

I can definitely see the issue on the video that you provided however I still cannot reproduce the issue on my end. Can you double check the browser console (F12) if you have any errors when you see message.


I checked the browser console and it didn't produce any errors.  I did another screen recording with the console up.  There's a lot there I don't understand.  Maybe you can pick something out that's wrong.

Thanks, Sean