Mark the letters - nordic letters don't show

Nordic letters like æ,ø,å (Danish) don't show when I save the exercise.

There is also a bug with paragrahps. It shows all as one line even though I have organized it as several lines!


bug æ,ø,å Mark the letters
Content types: 
BV52's picture

Hi kabr,

Would you mind attaching a sample content here, I am unable to reproduce the issue on my end. Also please provide the information below:

  1. atform and version number. E.g. Drupal, Wordpress, Moodle.
  2. Mobile or Desktop
  3. Browser: Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc
  4. H5P plugin version
  5. H5P content type and version


Hi BV52,

I have tested it both on and our Moodle installation (3.5 with boost). 
It's the same for both installations (see the attached pictures).

The version of Mark the letters is 1.2.2.

It doesn't show æ ø and å. 

I used safari when I made the exercise but it doesn't show in chrome either.

I'm unsure if my last post was posted ....

BV52's picture

Hi kabr,

Now I understand exactly what you mean. The Marks the Words is designed to have a single word as answer not letters nor group of words. I noticed in your screenshot that english alphabet letters are also not showing since this is not how the content type is supposed to work.



I’m talking about the H5P activity “Mark the letters” not “mark the words”. I have used markt he words and it functions as intended. But there is a big in the new activity type “mark the letters“. Which you can find on 

Hi BV52

I didn't talk about the mark the words but Mark the letters. I solved it myself. By changing line 45 in the mark-the-letters.js file.

Actually I added support for a boarder range of characters like ņ ŋ ß ç č æ ø å and more.

I have included the file if others have the same need.


BV52's picture

Hi kabr,

Sorry for not seeing the new content type the release was a bit under the radar. Anyway I'm glad that you were able to fix it and thank you for sharing the fix and posting the PR on Github.


No problem. I'm just glad I could help. The h5p file upload contained more included characters than the github suggestion. Properly languages like Spanish, French, Italian, German and so forth would like to be able to use their special letters as well..