Extracurricular Learning Tracker
A number of years ago, we used a platform called "Rezzly" to track students' participation in extracurricular learning for language classes. Unfortunately, the platform no longer exists. Could H5P develop something similar?
Here's how it worked for us:
- we added a series of different activities to the platform (e.g. attend movie en espanol; attend Speaker X from Mexico lecture, play board games with your friends in Spanish, cook a typical Peruvian dish)
- each activity was assigned a different value depending on complexity and required language use
- some activities were time-limited (e.g. if the lecture was on a particular night, it disappeared after that date)
- students needed to submit materials to demonstrate that they completed the actiivty (e.g. a photo of them at the theatre with ticket, written reflection on experience. These submissions were approved by the instructor.
The app lacked a leaderboard, but in our perfect world we would have something like the leaderboard on "The Chase".
I know the need for moderator oversight is going to be a challenge for H5P since most things are automarking, but I think there might be a lot of overlap with "The Chase" and it might be a useful feature for those of us using H5P.com.
* A thought about students entering their own text. At present, the FIB question type allows students to type whatever they want into the gaps. These gaps are then auto-graded and marks assigned. But, what if they were ungraded? What if they were used only for students to write text (like entering info on a form)? Then, at least in H5P.com, our instructors can look at the content in "Reports" and download it as a CSV. This might also be a way for students to write reflections on their experiences in the activity tracker. Instructors won't give marks, but they will either approve or not students participation.