Activities based on a reading passage?
I would like to create a variety of activities based on a single, very short, reading passage. In general, I need to present some text to the student and build activities from it. I am having difficulty applying H5P to my needs conceptually based on the examples on the site.
I am a volunteer ESL teacher/tutor for adults. Very effective teacher in the classroom but not a trained educator and not very experienced with H5P. I'd really like to see examples or learn about how anyone has done things using WordPress and H5P like:
- Activity based on reading passage on the same page as the passage so that they can refer to the passage to answer questions or activity.
- Activity based on reading passage that is not on the same page as the passage but the passage is easily available.
- Curious extra: Grouping/linking/navigating set of activities based on the same passage. If anyone has a cool set-up in WordPress. I've tried a few.
It's tricky because I teach low level ESL English for adults, not very or simply not computer literate, so I can't have wordy concepts/instructions and navigation. All of my students, any adults, adults with children, need computer experience. That's my deep personal belief. And most are very keen on it. I like to present content from history, classic literature, and such too. That is why I created my own network of sites for ESL.
I have found that many ESL sites:
- at low level English are for kids
- have limited content and rote tasks based only on one sentence
- require cultural literacy, ex. In the winter, blah blah _______. (snow, freeze, ice, a cold, snow boots, mittens.)
- assume computer literacy - difficult to get to activities, need plugins, require following instructions in English, cluttered and packed with ads around the content.
I value any input or links. Thank you!